During the 2022 Bitcoin Conference in Miami, Florida, Cointelegraph sat down with Ricardo Salinas, Founder and Chairman of Grupo Salinas, in an exclusive interview. As an early adopter of Bitcoin (BTC), since $200, Salinas has experienced the ups and downs of the market firsthand and learned a thing or two along the way.

Salinas started the day as a panelist on the main stage at the Miami Beach Convention Center among fellow billionaires Orlando Bravo, Marcelo Claure and Dan Tapiero. In a discussion titled “Bitcoin Billionaire Capital Allocators,” Salinas revealed that 60% of his portfolio is in Bitcoin, while the remaining 40% is a mix of oil and gas investments.

From left to right, moderator Greg Foss, Marcelo Claure, Ricardo Salinas, Dan Tapiero and Orlando Bravo.

On the same day, April 7, another conference attendee, Mexican Senator Indira Kempis, announced that she was proposing legislation to make Bitcoin legal tender in Mexico. Mexico would follow El Salvador, Roatán, Honduras and Madeira, Portugal if it passes the legislation. Asked his thoughts, Salinas said it’s “going to be an uphill battle” for this to happen because his country “unfortunately” has a mindset too attached to its control over the world. fiat, or what he calls “fiat fraud”. “

“Central bank and finance ministry powers hate bitcoin because of the freedom it represents and it’s a direct threat to their monopoly money.”

As the founder of Mexican bank Banco Azteca, Salinas admits that he is part of a problematic system and reveals that he would like his bank to have access to bitcoin payments, deposits and loans. In the meantime, however, as the owner of supermarket chain Elektra Group, he is currently working on enabling retailers to accept bitcoin payments for all items.

Related: Lightning will strike Shopify merchants with the addition of BTC payments

While sitting down with Cointelegraph, he said Bitcoiners remain a small percentage of the total population and there is still a long way to go before universal adoption. He also reminded viewers that regardless of an investor’s age, the most important quality an investor can have is curiosity and an openness to continually learn.